Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My favourite of the year

The films that according to me, made for an awesome experience
1. The Dark Knight
One word, Devastating. Seen this movie 5 times (ya, feel awkward that 1 billion dollars has a small miniscule contribution by me too) and yet can't get over the awesomeness of the movie. For superhero worshippers this movie made their day from the time they heard that hideos laughter in the teaser trailer. I can like see Tilda Swinton declare Heath ledger's name and whole of Hollywood standing up for him at the Oscars. But for a Christian Bale fan like me this movie is a mindboggling cinematic cult act. Face it that dude for me still stole the show, no matter how much the world hams about the joker act. And if they are at all getting Johnny Depp to play Riddler in the next one, God alone knows the new Batman will kick some ass.
2. Wall EAnd I thought Dory from Finding Nemo was the superbest cartoon ever. A robot wriggled me out of that perception. And Peter Gabriel's 'Down to earth' is the track of the year (ya judge me for making a pop number the song of the year). its weird how much sense a cartoon movie makes so much sense in a nonsensical way whereas Al Gore's hamming for 2 hours made me sleep with all that sense pouring.
3. Speed Racer
Somewhere 10 minutes into the movie you think this is so high school. By half time you are jumping like one. By the end of the movie you just wish we never grew up. The madness of the movie was just as good as madness gets. And you judged the Wachowski brothers for making people disappear into phones and machine-human mojo wars. Balls, this movie is the deal. Half my friends thought its a stupid movie but then these guys put Simpsons in the same league of Scrootch McDuck.
4. TahaanI fell for this movie for 2 reasons, The donkey's name was Birbal and it was Santosh Sivan who I think is some dude of a moviemaker. By the time I was done with the movie I was shocked not just by the film but I finally figured why those nutwits are fighting over Kashmir!! That place is too damn beautiful, the way it was captured is brilliant and then a cast like Anupam Kher, Victor Banerjee, Rahul Bose and Khanna and Sarika along with this kid I can't recall the name of made for some crazy watching.

5. Slumdog MillionaireBollywood bow in shame. Some hollywood guy captures Mumbai this cruelly well and then tells an entire story 'that' maddeningly, you wish Ray and Fellini were still alive doing their thing, that guy just deserves the credit. The world's talking about it have to accpet one of the few movies i watched on a sorry camera print just out fo desperation to watch it.

6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

This movie took my brain for a spin. Brad Pitt (Finally acting and minus the Jolie litter), Cate Blanchett.............. period. The concept was so shady cool, I bet some enterprising Indian director is sure to pick it up and make Shah Rukh or Salman and make it a mockery.

7. Milk

Sean Penn this cool, someone hand him the Oscar. His turn as gay activist Harvey Milk (and here my friends will go all smirking, FO for that) is far better than his Mystic river or I am Sam. For all I care I fell for the trailer itself.

8. Oye Lucky Lucky Oye FINALLY!!!! A movie that went beyond punjabi women dancing to some molested version of an anglised Mahive or Soniye. For an outsider it made me look at 90's Delhi without actually making an effort in either over the top production design (hear hear Farah Khan) or loud accents. And the accents!!!!!! Dipaker Banerjee does an exceptional work. The film stinks of Delhi Punjabis. And Abhay Deol's choice of movies makes me applaud (can't wait for Dev D now and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's reaction to this new Devdas)

9. Burn after reading

What's not to like: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malcovich, A phenomenal Francis McDermond, Tilda Swinton, J. K. Simmons (minus the spidey shit) and the Coen Brothers for the movie I kept going 'what the fuck' in every fucking minute. The movie has so many stupid moments it was funny just because of that. Imagine a Chair cum cycle cum dildo jack-in-the-box contraption being a discrete basement invention or blackmailing the FBI in return for cosmetic surgery. Hideous.

10. Body of Lies/ Iron Man

Stop Talking. Start watching. Awe-fucking-some movies. Leonardo.......... thats a five star rating enough. And Ironman was just a cool flick to watch. Watched it just because Shaurya Kashyap went hamming for hours about it. But actually liked it.

1 comment: